EIGHT08 BLOGS: Haunted Oahu
Halloween is here and what a better way to celebrate this holiday than to share Oahu’s haunted locations via www.eight08.net. When most people think of Oahu, they think of sandy beaches, hula skirts, and drinking a Blue Hawaii as the sun sets but there is another side to Oahu that being a darker, spookier, and more supernatural side. Found within this blog is my share pictorial wise of the darker, spookier, and supernatural side of Oahu. Warning: Many of the sites and/or locations within this blog requires permission to visit and/or investigate
THE H-3 HIGHWAY: The H-3 HIGHWAY is believed to haunted from the time it’s construction began till present day
The reasoning to why the H-3 Freeway is haunted is because it was built over (2) Heiau’s amidst heavy protest from the Hawaiian Community
There were news reports at the time the H-3 Freeway was being constructed that bones were excavated and that the construction workers heard chanting within the area. Note: Fortunately for yours truly, I haven’t encountered any unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences during my numerous drives to and from the H-3 Highway
THE H-1 HIGHWAY: H-1 Highway, the original haunted highway even before the H-3 Highway was built. During the construction of the H-1 Highway, workers claimed to see the apparitions of ancient Hawaiian warriors and ancient Hawaiian bones were dug up as well during it’s excavation. Fun Fact: I noticed the silhouette of a woman with long hair walking on the side of the highway one late evening a decade ago as I was heading eastbound on the H-1 Highway and I did not dare looking into my rearview mirror to verify to see what I had seen ?
DANIEL K. INOUYE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT: The Daniel K. Inouye International Airport is believed to be haunted by “The Lady In Waiting” peering into the night from one of the gates to watch planes take off and take flight before disappearing into thin air. Note: Fortunately for yours truly, I haven’t encountered any unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences during my numerous visits to the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport
Daniel K. Inouye International Airport
300 Rodgers Boulevard
Honolulu, Hawaii 96819
KAPI’OLANI REGIONAL PARK: Kapi’olani Regional Park is believed to be haunted by Nightmarchers with reports of battle cries and spottings of eerie apparitions dressed in ancient battle gear. Sites such as Kapiolani Park are locations where great battles took place hundreds of years ago Note: Fortunately for yours truly, I haven’t encountered any unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences during my numerous visits to Kapiolani Park
Kapi’olani Regional Park
3840 Paki Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii 96815
KUALOA REGIONAL PARK: The Kualoa Regional Park located in Kaneohe, Hawaii is another location believed to be haunted by the Nightmarchers. There are numerous stories regarding the Nightmarchers roaming the Kualoa Regional Park area from the valley on down to it’s sandy shores. Note: Fortunately for yours truly, I haven’t encountered any unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences during my numerous visits to Kualoa Regional Park
Kualoa Regional Park
49-479 Kamehameha Highway
Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744
MOANALUA GARDENS: The Moanalua Gardens is another location believed to be haunted by the Nightmarchers. Note: Fortunately for yours truly, I didn’t encounter any unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences during my visit at the Moanalua Gardens
More photos of Moanalua Gardens below ?
2850 Moanalua Road
Honolulu, Hawaii 96819
KIPAPA GULCH: The Kipapa Gulch is another location believed to be haunted by Nightmarchers due to a significant battle that took place within the area in Hawaii’s history. The viaduct that spans the ravine, pictured above and below, connects Waipio to Mililani and is a known site for numerous head on accidents. Numerous unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences within the area have been reported as well such as seeing lights move down the mountainside and into the gulch as well as hearing the sounds of people crying beneath the viaduct. Beneath the viaduct is believed to be the location of the Hawaiian Kupua Kaupe, shapeshifter, that is said to appear from time to time as a halfman halfdog being stand 7 feet tall. Note: Fortunately for yours truly, I haven’t encountered any unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences during my drives on the viaduct that spans the ravine over Kipapa Gulch
KALIHI VALLEY: Kalihi Valley is another location believed to be haunted by the Nightmarchers
NU’UANU PALI LOOKOUT: Nu’uanu Pali Lookout is the most notable location believed to haunted by the Nightmarchers due to a fierce bloody battle known as “Battle of Nu’uanu” where in 1975 King Kamehameha I won the battle that finally united Oahu under his rule. The fierce bloody Battle Of Nu’uanu claimed hundreds of warriors lives many of who were forced down the sheer cliffs of the Pali Lookout. The Nu’uanu Pali Lookout is well known for it’s supernatural incidents that occur within the area most notably sightings of silhouettes of ancient Hawaiian warriors, and is believed that there are still bones remaining at the bottom of the cliff of said ancient Hawaiian warriors. Fun Fact: I had visited the Nu’uanu Pali Lookout easily over a decade ago and took photos of the area as I usually do. When I arrived home and began editing the photos, I noticed a silhouette of tall male figure holding a staff which resembled a “Nightmarcher” ? You best believe I deleted that photo with the quickness ???
More photos of the Nu’uanu Pali Lookout below ?
Nu’uanu Pali Lookout
Nu’uanu Pali Drive
Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744
NU’UANU PALI HIGHWAY: It is believed by locals not to bring pork through the tunnels of the Nu’uanu Pali Highway going from the Windward side towards the Leeward Side due to an agreement by demi-goddess Madame Pele and her once lover and now rival demi-god Kamapua’a. Those who dared to bring pork through the tunnels of the Nu’uanu Pali Highway would result in their vehicles malfunctioning and stopping until the pork is thrown out of their vehicles
KEAIAWA HEIAU STATE RECREATION AREA: Although I haven’t been able to find any resources online regarding unexplained and/or supernatural activities that had occurred within the Keaiawa Heiau State Recreation Area, I do believe it has occurred albeit unreported and/or undocumented. I experienced/heard a disembodied voice when my friends and I were jogging within the Keaʻiwa Heiau State Recreation Area probably a decade ago. The three of us were jogging within the paved path of the Keaʻiwa Heiau State Recreation Area when I heard a voice whisper into my ear. I didn’t mention it to my two friends who were jogging ahead of me at the time knowing it would spook the hell out of the both of them. And yes, hearing a voice whisper into my ear at the time within the Keaiwa Heiau State Area was my second time experiencing a disembodied voice. My first experience with a disembodied voice was during my teens when my dad and I were sitting on our sofa in our living room at home. A voice whispered a word into my ear at the time and my dad heard it as well which startled the both of us
I also have a friend, who’s spiritually inclined, who visited the Keaʻiwa Heiau State Recreation Area along with his family and felt an uneasy feeling upon entry along with a headache and nausea which led them deciding to leave the area within a couple minutes upon entering of the grounds
More photos of the Keaiawa Heiau State Recreation Area below ?
Keaiawa Heiau State Recreation Area
99-1849 Aiea Heights Drive
Aiea, Hawaii 96701
There are numerous Heiaus on Oahu Nei that have had reports of unexplained and/or supernatural occurences such as the Ancient Heiau of Ulupo, the Pupukea Heiau, the Pu’u o Mahuka Heiau et al
PEARL HARBOR’S FORD ISLAND: Located at the center of Pearl Harbor is Ford Island. Although Ford Island is rumored to be haunted by slain soldiers during the Pearl Harbor attack, the island is known by natives to be inhabited by a powerful and spiritual entity that being the Shark God Kahiʻ’ukā who resides within an underwater cave in the area
379 KAMEHAMEHA HIGHWAY. The building located within the address of 379 Kamehameha Highway is believed to be haunted with reports of strange and unexplained activities such as an employee felt as if someone was playing with her hair, and another employee hearing children laughing and running through the hallways
WAIPAHU STREET S TURN. The Waipahu Street S Turn pictured above and below is believed to be haunted by Nightmarchers. It is said on moonless nights when driving through the S Turn, sounds of drums beating and sightings of torches have been reported. Residents within the area have reported the sounds of drums beating as well
WAIPAHU PLANTATION VILLAGE: The Waipahu Plantation Village consists of houses and artifacts from Hawaii’s sugarcane generation and because of that fact it is believed the property is haunted with numerous unexplained and/or supernatural occurences
Waipahu Plantation Village
94-695 Waipahu Street
Waipahu, Hawaii 96797
KANEANA CAVE: Kaeana Cave is a sacred site located near Makua Beach in Makaha, Hawaii and is believed to be the lair of Shark God Nanaue. Many visitors to the Kaenana Cave have experienced numerous unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences
86-260 Farrington Highway
Waianae, Hawaii 96792
HILTON HAWAIIAN VILLAGE WAIKIKI BEACH RESORT: The Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort sits on land that was once a Hawaiian fishing village and is believed to be haunted by a woman wearing a red dress who has been seen by both locals and tourists alike throughout the property
Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort
2005 Kālia Road
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816
There are numerous other resorts on Oahu Nei that are believed to be haunted such as the Waikiki Parc Hotel, Prince Waikiki Hotel, Ihilani Resort, Halepuna Waikiki by Halekulani Hotel et al
1150 SOUTH KING STREET: The Atlas Insurance Building now known as the Eleven50 Building is located on 1150 South King Street has have reports in the past to be haunted with unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences such as feelings of uneasiness in the women’s bathroom as well as an apparition appearing within the bathroom mirror
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH BUILDING: The Department Of Health Building located on Punchbowl Street in Honolulu, Hawaii is believed to be haunted with numerous reports of strange and/or supernatural encounters
OAHU COMMUNITY CORRECTIONAL CENTER: The Oahu Community Correctional Center is believed to be haunted with reports of unexplained occurrences such as hearing cell doors rattling within the prison
W.R. FARRINGTON HIGH SCHOOL: The “Green Room” within W.R. Farrington High School’s auditorium is believed to be haunted, and that during WWII the auditorium was supposively used as a morgue. During the 80s, faculty and students have heard the clickety clack sounds of type writers in the type writing classrooms with no one around. Note: Fortunately for yours truly, I didn’t encounter any unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences during my 3 year stay at W.R. Farrington High School
There are numerous other schools on Oahu Nei that are believed to be haunted such as Aiea High School, Pearl City High School, Wahiawa Elementary School, Wahiawa Intermediate School, Sacred Hearts Academy, Kamehameha School, the University Of Hawaii et al
DOLE CANNERY SIGNATURE THEATERS: The Dole Cannery Signature Theaters was built over an ancient Hawaiian Heiau and is believed to be haunted with reports of unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences
842 BETHEL STREET: The building located on 842 Bethel Street is believed to be haunted with reports of unexplained and/or supernatural occurences such as file cabinet doors opening and closing, typewriters typing, lights flickering, squeaky office chairs et al
MERCHANT STREET AND ALAKEA STREET: On the intersection of Merchant Street and Alakea Street is a site known as Kaua’nona’ula meaning the rain and red rainbow, and is a site known for unexplained and supernatural encounters. Note: Fortunately for yours truly, I didn’t encounter any unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences during my visit at the time
PIONEER PLAZA: Pioneer Plaza is believed to be haunted due a murder that happened within the property with reports of an apparition walking through the halls. Fun Fact: The picture found below of the Pioneer Plaza reveals quite a few pecuilar artifacts within the photo. (4) pecuilar artifacts to be exact that can be found within the photo ??
ALOHA TOWER: The Aloha Tower located within the Aloha Tower Marketplace in Honolulu, Hawaii is believed to be haunted with ghosts of sailors who died aboard ships which were anchored within the area during World War II
US POST OFFICE. DOWNTOWN, HONOLULU: The US Post Office located in Downtown, Honolulu is believed to be haunted by a postal worker of the past
United States Postal Service
King Kalakaua Building
335 Merchant Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
HAWAII SUPREME COURT: The Hawaii Supreme Court is believed to be haunted with stories of the lost souls of criminals sentenced back in the early 1900s
The Hawaii Supreme Court was once an orphanage and it is said you can still hear the children’s laughter beneath the banyan trees at the edge of the lot. Fun Fact: The picture found below of the banyan trees reveals a pecuilar artifact within the photo ??
IOLANI PALACE: Numerous incidents of unexplained shadows, lights, and noises have been reported by staff members and visitors alike. Constructed in 1882, the Iolani Palace was once home to Hawaii’s last ruling royalty that being King Kalakaua and his sister Queen Liliuokalani. It is said that Queen Liliuokalani still roams the halls of the Iolani Palace till this very day
364 S King Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
HAWAIIAN MISSION HOUSES HISTORIC SITE: The Hawaiian Mission Historic Site is a historical setting to where you can see what it looked like to live in the days long gone during a time when missionaries first came to the islands. There have been reports and incidents of those said missionaries going about their lives as if time had stood still
Hawaiian Mission Historic Site
553 S King Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
KAWAIAHA’O CHURCH: The Kawaiaha’o Church located in Honolulu, Hawaii is rumored to be haunted by Hawaiian Royalty, and visitors have reported seeing apparitions walking through it’s halls during the evening
957 Punchbowl Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
KAKA’AKO FIRE STATION: It is believed that the Kaka’ako Fire Station located in Honolulu, Hawaii was haunted by an old man and his dog. Firemen have reported occurrences of a “Choking Ghost” as well within the confines of the Kaka’ako Fire Station. Note: I felt an uneasy unwanted feeling as I stood across the street taking photos of the Kaka’ako Fire Station at the time, and an urgency to leave upon taking said photos
Kaka’ako Fire Station
555 Queen Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
THE HAWAII THEATER: The Hawaii Theater located in Honolulu, Hawaii is believed to be haunted by a custodian who was murdered years ago and his ghost can be seen from time to time
1130 Bethel Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
FORT STREET MALL: Fort Street Mall located in Honolulu, Hawaii was at one point Oahu’s largest human sacrificial Heiau known as Pakaka Heiau. At the time, the human sacrificial rituals involved the beheading of the sacrificed and merchants throughout the area have reported sightings of headless apparitions walking late at night
ST. ANDREWS CATHEDRAL: It is believed the late Queen Emma often pays a visit to St. Andrews Cathedral, and her favorite piano is often heard playing her favorite songs when no one is around
The Cathedral Of St. Andrew
229 Queen Emma Square
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
LEIO’PAPA ALBERT KAMEHAMEHA BUILDING: The Leio’papa Albert Kamehameha Building is believed to be haunted with reports of unexplained and/or supernatural occurrences
WASHINGTON PLACE: Washington Place located in Honolulu, Hawaii is believed to be haunted with unexplained and/or supernatural occurences
320 South Beretania Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
HAWAII STATE CAPITAL BUILDING: The Hawaii State Capital Building is believed to be haunted by the late Queen Liluokalani, and one of the offices within the building is believed to be haunted by a little boy as well
State Capital Building
415 S Beretania Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
As for yours truly, I do believe in the existence of the supernatural ? as I do believe in our Lord Jesus Christ ☝️?I have my fair share of ghostly stories to share which I have posted below ?
(1) I have heard the pitter patter of footsteps walking behind me as I went down a stairway a couple years back within the property I work at. I turned around to see who it was and no one was behind me ? After that occurence, I didn’t enter that stairway for at roughly 6 months and have been avoiding that stairway till this very day
(2) I have heard an unseen entity seemingly slamming it’s fists into a glass door exit point, pictured above, within the property I work at much to the disbelief of yours truly and (2) coworkers of mines ? Fun Fact: I have also experienced a mischievous entity tap my shoulder within the same area as pictured above. At the time, I assumed it was a fellow coworker tapping my shoulder in need of assistance, but when I turned around no one was in sight. Luckily, that experience was during the daytime otherwise it would have scared the shit out of me ?
(3) I have experienced a portable radio adjust itself from a reasonable decibel listening level to full blast and back to it’s previous reasonable decibel listening level as I was a couple feet away and had my back turned to it within a particular room within the property I work at a couple years ago ?
(4) I have seen an apparition within the property I work at while working the evening shift a year ago. Within the mirror found above to be exact. I was washing my hands at the time and noticed an apparition within the mirror walking down the hallway towards me. I already knew all of our patients were asleep at the time and decided not to turn my head back out of curiousity knowing it was an apparition and decided to finish my handwashing
(5) I have experienced darkness engulf a restroom, pictured above, I was using within the property I work at a decade ago. There I was taking a pee and within the left corner of my peripheral vision I noticed darkness engulfing the corner of the restroom as it moved towards me. Instinctively, I pulled up my underwear and scrubs, opened the door of the restroom, and ran out. Unfortunately, I hadn’t stopped peeing as I pulled up my underwear and scrubs as I opened the door and ran out in fright ???♂️
(6) I believe I have experienced “astral projection” numerous times from a young age till early adulthood. I didn’t realize it at the time until a came across a movie decades later on Netflix called “Insidious.”
(7) I have experienced the “choking ghost” way too many times in my life. Fortunately through internet research, I have debuncted my unexplained | supernatural experiences of the “choking ghost” as a medical experience called “sleep paralysis.” Sleep paralysis is a condition in which a person is mentally conscious but physically unable to move. It is sometimes accompanied by hallucinations of frightening invaders in the bedroom. The result is a scary, almost nightmarish experience of sensing an intruder but being unable to respond. Thankfully, this is nothing more than the product of a half-awake brain. Sleep paralysis occurs when a person is just falling asleep or waking up. During these transitions, you may find that you are unable to move or speak for a few seconds or as long as several minutes. Some people sweat, or even have a sense of choking and being unable to breathe.”
(8) I have experienced an unexplained unseen entity within our home a decade or so ago. Unseen by my naked eye but probably sensed and seen by my dog “Lucky.” I was sound asleep at the time on a Sunday morning with the door opened to my room which leads to our hallway. I had awoken to the sound of my dog “Lucky” barking profusely down our hallway as it began backtracking towards my room as if an intruder was in front of him. As Lucky continued to backtrack into my room, he jumped onto my bed and began barking even more profusely as if the unseen intruder had entered my room. I then pulled my blanket over my head our of shock and fear and began praying to our Lord for protection. I can’t seem to recall my actions after that ???
(9) I have experienced an enexplained continous loud noise coming from an unoccupied uncluttered room within our home one early morning. A noise as if someone continously picked up a empty cardboard box and threw it onto the floor. A noise that seemed to continue for almost an hour until it stopped, and during that time I continuously prayed to our Lord fir protection. The noise stopped a little after 2 a.m. but I had no inclination to go and investigate what had caused the noise at the time. As the sun rose, I woke up, gathered my courage, and went to investigate the room. No bueno. Nada. Zip. Zero. There was no object in the room to be found that could have thrown. Long story short, we had the room blessed within the week
I am a Catholic by baptism and of Filipino descent. And because I am of Filipino descent, I grew up with Filipino superstitious beliefs. Superstitious beliefs such as:
Never going straight home after a wake. This superstitious beliefs is called “pagpag” which means “the shaking off of dirt.” This superstitious belief basically means going else where after attending a wake before heading home to shake off the spirit of the deceased lest it follows you home
Going hand in hand with Filipino superstitious beliefs are Filipino Folklore. Filipino Folklore such as Aswangs
Aswangs are one of the most feared monsters in the Philippines. Aswangs are shape shifting, flesh eating monsters that can blend in with the townspeople by day but prey on them at night
Filipino Folklore have their version of a witch as well called “mangkukulam.” Mangkukulam is a person who can cast spells, curses, and black magic on the people they want to take revenge on ??
On the flipside of Filipino witches ie mangkukulam are “albularyo.” Albularyo are faith healers in the Philippines and are very common in rural areas. Albularyo use plants and herbs as their healing components along with various chants, rituals, and prayers. Fun Fact: I’ve experienced an albularyo ritual back in 1998 during a trip to the Philippines which involved the slashing of a live chicken’s throat as it’s blood sprewed onto my body as the albularyo was chanting, then bathing in a hot water, guava leaves, and herbs concoction, and finally sleeping the night away lathered with coconut oil all over my body as instructed by the albularyo ?
EIGHT08 Believe It ? OR Not ?????